Battle of Marathon summary
490 BCE: The battle that defined the future of Western Civilization. The Persians reached Marathon with their fleet after destroying the city of Eretria.
- 9.000 Athenians and 1.000 Plateans under Miltiades fight against approximately 25.000 Persians under generals Datis and Artaphernes.
- Greeks attack after skirmishes probably initiated by the Persians.
- Greeks regroup just outside the range of persian arrows.
- Greeks run towards the Persians to minimize arrow casualties.
- Greeks advance on left and right flanks. The Persian center holds it's ground against the fewer Greek hoplites allocated there.
- Persian left and right flanks flee to the ships. Greek left and right flanks attack the Persian center.
- Persian center flees to the ships. Greeks pursue them.